We’re proud to congratulate Honda on the achievement of breaking the world record for fuel efficiency following their recent attempt. Two of their drivers spent 25 days on the challenge, taking in a staggering 8,387 miles using just £459 of diesel!
The car used by the pair was a Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-DTEC (without any modifications at all) which averaged a staggering 100.31 miles per gallon, meaning they had to stop only nine times across the entire journey to fill up their tank. The distance covered is the equivalent of driving from the UK to Australia.
It is interesting to note that the quoted MPG of the Civic Tourer is just 74.3, however this was bettered by over 25 mpg on average across the trip which saw Fergal McGrath and Julian Warren navigating Europe in a clockwise direction.
In order to be awarded the world record by Guinness (“lowest fuel consumption – all 24 contiguous EU countries [all cars]”), a number of criteria had to be met, including:
- – Both drivers had to be in the car for the entire journey.
- – The car had to enter each of the 24 specified countries.
- – Evidence had to be collected in each country.
- – This included a fuel / mileage logbook, GPS readings, photo / video & an independent signature.
- – The car had to be a standard vehicle without modifications.
- – Fuelling had to be done at regular stations and the tank filled to the maximum level.
- – Tyres had to be inflated to the recommended pressures.
Head of Cars for Honda (UK), Leon Brannan, has stated on the challenge: “This is an incredible achievement and the team should all be very proud of the efforts that they have put in to set this new Guinness World Record. Driving the equivalent distance from their home in the UK to Australia in just 25 days is a huge challenge very few would take on. The fuel economy figures are remarkable – particularly when you consider that this is not a small car, but an estate with class-leading load space and vast practicality.”
Here at Cox Motor Parts, one of the UK’s leading genuine Honda car parts dealers, we’d once again like to congratulate Honda on their achievement, something which goes to show what a key player in the automotive industry Honda is and something which will help to raise their profile for fuel efficient vehicles even further.