Carefully consider the below before out in the cold you go!
Plan your journey carefully. Start by thinking is this a journey you need to make?
Key vehicle checks:
- Check your windscreen wipers are in excellent condition and fully working
- Windscreen washer fluid should be topped up with winter strength anti-freeze
- Ensure you have de-icer or have an ice scraper in your vehicle
- Check your tyres are not damaged and have at leave 2.5mm of tread
- Check all lights are in full working order, including front and rear fog lights
- Ensure mobile phones are charged and has contact info in case of a breakdown
Be aware of weather conditions and keep your eyes on the road. Take particular care when in locations unlikely to have been gritted/salted such as car parks and smaller roads, especially if it is dark.
Always keep a breakdown kit in your vehicle – a blanket, shovel/spade, water, high-viz jacket, snack bars, boots and a torch are a good starting point. We also recommend having extra de-icer, screen wash anti-freeze and an ice scraper to hand, you can find a handy kit of these items, along with a microfibre cloth here
Finally, if you take medication, ensure you carry extra in case you are delayed.
Remember – Ice and Snow – Take it Slow!