Loading up a car can be a struggle for some people, especially if you are trying to pack bulky camping equipment or bikes. However, a roof rack or bike rack can be a great alternative that makes packing your car for a long journey easier.
Depending on your needs, there are several roof rack choices that you can pick from which offer a solid foundation for your luggage. These include bike racks, roof bars, kayak racks, ski and snowboard racks, cargo and luggage racks, and a range of base roof rack systems.
Our guide looks at which Honda vehicles can be fitted with roof racks and bars, how to fit them, and any costs involved.
Which Honda vehicles can be fitted with roof racks and bars?
Cycling enthusiasts and families taking trips know the difficulty of safely packing a car without limiting visibility. Honda owners will be delighted to hear that many models can be fitted with racks and bars, allowing you to easily expand the storage capability of your car.
You can add a roof rack, bars or bike rack to a large number of Honda vehicles, including:
- Honda Civic
- Honda CR-V
- Honda FR-V
- Honda HR-V
- Honda Jazz
It is possible to fit roof mounting bars and bike carriers and mount tow bars to a Honda CR-V. However, it is not possible to fit a rear mounting bike carrier due to the vehicle’s design and the tailgates strength.
You can install Honda Civic roof racks, bars and rails, even if your vehicle has a sunroof. Rear-mounted bike carriers can’t be fitted, but tow bar mounting is possible.
Like the two other Honda models, the Honda Jazz allows bar mounts and roof racks but is not suitable for rear-mounted carriers.
As there are many Honda models and each model has variations and regular updates, it is always worth checking the compatibility of any external luggage carrying facility.
Does Honda make their own roof racks?
Honda does make a selection of roof racks and bars designed explicitly for their models. This is an excellent option as other models tend to be designed to fit a range of vehicles.
Having genuine Honda parts designed specifically for your model gives you peace of mind knowing the weight will be evenly distributed, and the attachment will fit precisely without denting or damaging the vehicle.
How to put a roof rack on a Honda Civic
Installing a roof rack on a Honda Civic is relatively straightforward, but get a professional to install it if you have any doubts. A poorly installed roof rack can be extremely dangerous on a moving vehicle.
Before you start, you should lay out all the parts of the Honda Civic roof racks, so you have them to hand as and when you need them. This will include;
- Front and rear carriers
- Front and rear, left and right cushions
- Allen wrench
You will not require any other tools to carry out this job apart from a ruler.
- Step 1: Remove the covers from the front and rear roof carriers.
- Step 2: You can now install the cushions. Always check the part numbers and ID mark before installing.
- Step 3: Open all the doors of your vehicle.
- Step 4: Clean and thoroughly dry the vehicle panel.
- Step 5: Attach the provided labels.
- Step 6: Repeat these steps on the opposite side of the vehicle.
- Step 7: You should now position the front and rear roof carriers.
- Step 8: To secure the roof carriers, you should alternately tighten the left and right socket bolts, which will help to even out the pressure.
- Step 9: Rock and shake the roof carriers to ensure they are securely attached to the vehicle without moving too much or rattling.
- Step 10: After checking the carriers are secure, install the covers over each end.
- Step 11: After installing the covers, check the installation to ensure it is safe and secure.
Can you put a roof rack on a Honda Jazz?
If you plan on installing Honda Jazz roof racks, follow the step by step guide provided below. To do this, you will require a scale, and the following parts should be laid out for convenience before starting:
- Front and rear roof carrier
- Front and rear, left and right cushions
- Allen wrench
- Key plates x 2
To install a roof rack on a Honda Jazz yourself, follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: The first stage of installing a roof rack on a Honda Jazz is opening the doors and locating the recessed marks that can be found on the edge of the roof.
- Step 2: Use your key plate to remove the front roof carrier covers on both sides by turning the key anti-clockwise.
- Step 3: Match up the cushion part numbers with the corresponding sections of the front and rear roof carriers before installing them.
- Step 4: After positioning the front roof carrier, measure the recessed mark to the outer clamp centre.
- Step 5: Repeat the same process for the rear roof carrier. The caution label should be positioned on the left of the vehicle.
- Step 6: Use the Allen wrench to tighten the left and right socket bolts alternately to secure the outer clamp evenly.
- Step 7: Turn your Key plate clockwise to install the cover and lock it in place.
- Step 8: Repeat the previous two steps on the rear carrier.
- Step 9: After completing the installation, check the roof rack is secure by shaking it in all directions. If it is loose or rattles, tighten or reinstall.
- Step 10: The last step is to note the key number and store it securely in case you lose the key.
How to fit roof bars to a Honda CR-V
Some Honda CR-V bike racks are not suitable for several Honda models, so it is usually better to fit a bar or roof rails. There are several different Honda CR-V roof bars, rails and crossbars to choose from. Once you’ve chosen your rails or bars, its time to fit them to your car.
Your Honda CR-V roof rails kit will consist of:
- Left and right roof rails
- Caps A x 4
- Caps B x 4
- TORX nuts x 12
Because this is quite a complicated installation, you will need the following equipment:
- Torque wrench
- Handy remover
- 12cm cardboard box
- Protective eyewear
- T-30 TORX bit
- Flat-tip screwdriver
If you look at the directions below and are unsure, seeking the help of a professional will make the rack secure and safe for the maximum bike capacity.
- Step 1: Use your felt tip pen to mark the left roof moulding 100mm from the top of the windshield. Be careful not to use a pen that can’t be wiped clean.
- Step 2: You can now release the moulding cover using your handy remover on the left.
- Step 3: After releasing, reinstall the moulding cover.
- Step 4: You can then remove the six moulding clips one by one along the vehicle’s rear.
- Step 5: After removing the clips, you can fully release the left roof moulding.
- Step 6: After releasing the moulding, place your blanket under the moulding just above your windshield.
- Step 7: Put the cardboard box under the moulding beyond where it has been marked.
- Step 8: Cut the moulding where you previously marked it with the pen.
- Step 9: Remove the blanket and cardboard box.
- Step 10: Reinstall what you have left of the left moulding.
- Step 11: Using your flat-tip screwdriver, remove the two clips.
- Step 12: Slide the remaining four clips towards the vehicle’s rear and remove them.
- Step 13: Install the left rail using six of the TORX nuts provided.
- Step 14: You will now be able to install the A and B caps. Always ensure the caps are installed in the proper orientation.
- Step 15: Repeat these steps to install the right-hand rail on the opposite side.
- Step 16: After the installation has been completed, check the rails are secure.
How much does it cost to add roof racks to a Honda?
The price of Honda roof racks will vary depending on the style, make, and model you buy. You can expect to pay anywhere from around £150 to £450 on average, but this can vary. You will save money if you can install a roof rack yourself, but poor installation can damage a vehicle and be dangerous on the road.
FAQs about Honda roof racks, bars and bike racks
How long does it take to put a bike rack on a car?
A standard bike rack installation by a professional should take around 30 minutes, but this does depend on the vehicle and bike rack. Custom installations will take longer and tend to be around the 2 hour mark.
Can I install a Honda roof rack myself?
You can install a Honda roof rack yourself if you are experienced in this installation. It is not recommended if you are not, due to the damage it can cause to vehicles if poorly installed and because of the danger of driving with an unsecured roof rack.
Can a bike fit in a Honda CR-V?
It is possible to fit most bikes in most cars, and a Honda CR-V is no different. However, you may need to remove the front or rear wheel on adult bikes and mountain bikes to do this. Most children bikes will be able to fit without having to adjust them.
Bicycle racks can help solve this issue racks usually hold between two bikes and four bikes secure.
Where can I find the best bike rack for my Honda?
Here at Cox Motor Parts, we have a great selection of roof racks, bars and bike racks for you to choose from whether you are looking for Honda Civic bike racks or roof rails for your Honda Jazz.
Read more of our guides and find out how to select the correct side parts for your car or which oil you need for your Honda.